Lacrosse Coach
A lot of people believe that being a coach is just teaching players the skill of the game. However there is much more that goes into coaching. I have been both a player and a coach for several years. With this experience I will help change your perception of what a coach actually is.
Description:
A Lacrosse Coach is a person who teaches players the skill of the game, builds character, leadership, and accountability. Many people believe that lacrosse coaches are different than other coaches. This is not true because all coaches share the same core principles. We teach players how to master the game, but it is important to recognize that through this we teach players valuable life lessons. Below I listed some of the most important parts of my job.
Knowledgable about the skills of the sport
As a division one lacrosse player, I use the skills that I have acquired and my experiences as a player to educate young players.
A good communicator with players
I have to use my communication skills in order to explain drills and specific lacrosse skills and game tactics to my players while coaching both practices and games. Depending on the type of learner, sometimes this communication includes nonverbal communication.
I have to use my communication skills in order to explain drills and specific lacrosse skills and game tactics to my players while coaching both practices and games. Depending on the type of learner, sometimes this communication includes nonverbal communication.
A role model to the athletes
I know that the players that I coach look up to me, so I try to be the best example of a person and player for them. In order to do this, I try to show the players how to be respectful, kind, and responsible.
I know that the players that I coach look up to me, so I try to be the best example of a person and player for them. In order to do this, I try to show the players how to be respectful, kind, and responsible.
Motivation
When I coach I have to think of different ways to coach kids depending on their age and attitude. When kids are young I like to make it fun for them by thinking of silly games that are competitive.
It's difficult to motivate kids throughout very long days of camp. To motivate the girls, I try to lead by example and keep the drills and games fun and competitive.
When I coach I have to think of different ways to coach kids depending on their age and attitude. When kids are young I like to make it fun for them by thinking of silly games that are competitive.
It's difficult to motivate kids throughout very long days of camp. To motivate the girls, I try to lead by example and keep the drills and games fun and competitive.
I've been a dance "coach" for about 2 years, and it's been pretty challenging. All the coaches I've ever had are still with me and I'm pretty sure I'll never forget any of them. -Shreya
ReplyDeleteIt's very interesting that athletic skills can also help your communication skills.
ReplyDeleteI love that the majority of the skills that you used in your job were personal and social skills that focused on the players and on the concepts of teamwork, good sportsmanship, and work ethic. It says a lot about your character!
ReplyDeleteHey I once did some lacrosse coaching myself! Hehe
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear that you are no longer a macho man.
ReplyDeleteI used to be a tennis coach assistant and I agree that silly competitions are a very good way to motivate kids on long hot days!
ReplyDelete"lead by example," I agree that is the best way!
ReplyDelete