Chapter 5: I really enjoyed reading about the bakery business. She was able to tell a short story about the successes and failures of creating a self suffienct business run by women. I found it unique and educational when she described the woman being shy and often putting their heads down when she told them to be more outgoing and more of salespeople. It was interesting to learn that women in places like Rwanda are regarded a different way in society. It is seen as socially unacceptable as a woman to try and sell or approach people first. A cool example is seen when she trys selling the baked goods on the street and she's accepted because she is white compared to the Rwandan women who trying to sell the goods all day.
Chapter 6: This chapter discusses how aid was more harmful than beneficial. She talks about how more often than not aid money was being wasted on unsuccessful projects. Im beginning to see how harmful aid without direction can be. I found it really uplifting when she described her experience dancing with the woman in the hut. It must of felt completely liberating!
Chapter 7: I felt bad for her when Innocent stole all of her stuff. It just goes to show that when you put too much trust in someone you are vulnerable to being taken advantage of. I like how she felt guilty when she was about to buy the expensive champagne from the store. But I agree with Charles that you have to separate who you are from what you do. I also thought it was really neat how she wants to go back to school. India seems like a hectic place that I would love to go to one day. Her story about climbing the mountain made me want to get active today and workout! I like how she compared the mountain to life in Africa; how it can be so pretty but so difficult and hard.
No comments:
Post a Comment